Tuesday 10 January 2012

Robin Fawcett Dishonestly Misrepresenting The Content Of CLÉiRIGh's SFL Blogs

Robin Fawcett on 9 January 2012 wrote to sysfling:
I have checked on those blogs that refer to the model of language known as 'the Cardiff Grammar' … they show no understanding of the alternative SFL framework that they criticise; and they are almost completely lacking in reasons for their critical stance, simply presenting quotations from IFG as a self-evident proof that the IFG approach is the correct one, so assigning it an unquestioned authority.


Appraised
Appraisal
Polarity
Attitude
the blogs now merged as Thoughts That Cross My Mind
negative
judgement: capacity



Blogger Comments:

The only comments on the derived Cardiff model are those made by Halliday and Matthiessen (1999, 2004), and these are presented explicitly as quotes.  Readers can decide for themselves whether Halliday and Matthiessen understand the Cardiff model by viewing their comments here.

All the critiques of Fawcett, then and since, focus exclusively on his understanding of Halliday's original theory.  These can be viewed here.

Readers can decide for themselves whether or not Fawcett knew that he was publicly misrepresenting the content of the blogs.

This message was one of a barrage I was subjected to on sysfling during the week of my mother's funeral, which came at the end of six months of caring for her and my invalid father.  She died of mesothelioma, the cancer caused by asbestos, from washing my father's factory overalls in the 1960s, as she was required to by his employer, Jamies Hardie.  My distraught father has since died, by discontinuing his heart medication — that is, from grief and the guilt he wrongly felt.

One of my original motivations for creating the blogs was Fawcett's previous dishonest treatment of me on Sysfling in the very week I moved in with my parents to care for them.  This can be viewed here.  Critiques of this, and Fawcett's previous relevant sysfling post, can be viewed here.

No comments:

Post a Comment